Fluff it Up
Like the most convenient things in life, your NurtureBed will come vacuum sealed. So the first thing you’ll want to do is fluff that baby up. Holding the rim of the bed, shake, shake, shake! Make it fun, and include your dog in the process, speaking affirmations over the bed while you do this. It will signal to your dog, “This is a good thing.”
Then, with your hands, do your best to spread the stuffing around evenly. Mush it up, roll it out, but don’t be too pedantic about it, because next you’re going to throw it into the dryer with NO HEAT on a low tumble for about 10-15 minutes. If any spots haven’t been fluffed up. You can do a little more spreading around, making sure there’s enough support at the center.
Dog, Meet Bed
Whether you’re using your Nurturebed in a dog crate or the living room, we recommend warming your dog up to the bed slowly to get the best results. Dogs need to feel like it’s their choice; the process of them choosing where they sleep needs to feel as organic as possible for it to have the lasting effect we hope for.
Here’s a few tips:
- Don’t force your dog to lay in the bed immediately!
- Place your dog's favorite blanket or chew toy/bone in the bed.
- When your dog does decide to lay in their NurtureBed, reward them with a small treat or affection as positive reinforcement.
- Spray a small amount of calming lavender essential oil on the bed, or any other scents you know your pup responds well to.
- Spend time with your dog while they lay in the bed. Watch tv, read a book, sip some wine, whatever signals “calm” to your dog. But don’t snuggle with them in the Nurturebed; you want them to feel that comfort from the bed itself.
- Keep the bed in a consistent location where you know your dog is comfortable.
As is natural, your dog might mark their territory by peeing on the bed. This is a good sign! It means they have made NurtureBed their place of rest, and feel secure in its comfort. Fortunately, we’ve thought that through, so feel free to wash your NurtureBed on a cold water delicate cycle with your preferred laundry detergent whenever necessary! This bed is in it for the long haul.